Reflections on the Chick-fil-A 2011 Leadercast
On Friday, I had the undeserved privilege of interviewing the speakers at this year’s Chick-fil-A Leadercast, a conference that was simultaneously broadcast to 85,000 leaders in various locations around the U.S. It was fantastic!
I spoke to the likes of author John C. Maxwell; Muhtar Kent, CEO of Coca Cola, Mack Brown, head coach of the Texas Longhorn football team; Dave Ramsey, radio host and author, Erin Gruwell, founder of the Freedom Writers; TV personality and author Suzy Welch, author Sir Ken Robinson, Jo Kirchner, CEO of Primrose Schools, Dan Cathy, president of Chick-fil-A and more. What an insightful day.
Instead of just telling you the stuff I learned, I thought you may like to hear my top five one-liners or quotes I heard from these stellar leaders in my interviews. So, here goes…
1. Mack Brown – “As the head coach of an NCAA football team, I realized quickly that I had responsibility for the moods of 25 million people every weekend, but had no real control of anything.”
2. Dave Ramsey – “As I launched my radio show, I knew exactly what my niche was: people who breathe.”
3. John Maxwell – “My goal is to be bigger on the inside (my character) than I am on the outside (my influence). If I can attain this, I will one day be bigger on the outside.”
4. Mack Brown – “Do you realize that I put my paycheck in the hands of 18-22 year old boys every Saturday…and just hope that they don’t drop it!”
5. Sir Ken Robinson – “When I was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II, they didn’t make me kneel like most candidates do. They somehow knew I may be able to kneel but I might not be able to get up again.”
P.S. I plan to begin a new blog series tomorrow called: Inseparable. I think you’ll like it.