Podcast # 4: A Missing Step in Today’s Parenting Path
Click to Listen
Subscribe via iTunes
We not only have a new generation of kids, but also a new generation of parents.
If there is ever a struggle of a child growing up in a healthy way, it’s generally when one of two extremes takes place:
- Abandonment – haven’t done enough for them.
- Abundance – have done too much for them.
Six Fundamental Stages of Parenting
- Parent’s examine their new baby (features, traits, strengths, etc)
- Too much inspecting can push parents to compare and compete with other families.
- A parents’ natural bent to remedy any problems that arise in the first year or two. (rectifying all wrongs/improving traits)
- Too much correcting can make a young child feel as though they don’t measure up to parent’s standards
- Parents are protecting the investment.
- Too much protecting can stunt a child’s growth. Kids need to experience appropriate levels of risk and failure in order to mature.
- A lot of times, we’ve done better at protecting than preparing.
- Kids have entered their “tween” or even teen years and begin to feel like aliens around the house. (Parents don’t quite know what to do with their “new” kid)
- Too much neglecting communicates parents aren’t engaged.
- In adolescence, parents begin to get suspicious over the secrecy or strange new habits and styles in their kids.
- This kind of suspicion can breed distrust (Communication is key)
- As the child enters college or shows signs of wanting to separate from mom and dad’s leadership, parents seek to resurrect the relationship, at any cost.
- Just like teaching them to ride a bike, parents must blend support and letting go.
- I believe we have under-challenged kids with meaningful work to accomplish.
- Children 100 years ago had age-appropriate chores at young ages.
Habitudes that help
- Compass or GPS – teach our kids how to think, not what to think
- Bridge, not a wall – teaching kids to take calculated risks
- Tank half-full/half-empty – raise contributors, not just consumers.
What topic would you like for us to address on the next episode of the Growing Leaders Podcast? Leave a comment below.