Podcast # 3: Teens and Technology – Blessing or Curse?
Click to Listen
Subscribe via iTunes
Technology is a blessing and a curse
For us as adults, as well as for students, there are many benefits
But there are also downsides
This isn’t the first time technology has been vilified
Television in the 60’s was viewed as bad
- Then came Sesame Street, Captain Kangaroo
Technology is neutral – it’s what we do with it
3 positions adults can take
Where do we draw lines – help students draw limits?
Who is to blame for the consequences of technology?
- Employers who expect staff members being available 24/7
- Our emotional insecurities that make us dissatisfied
- Our culture that makes us feel guilty if we take time away
- Our brain responds to the pleasure technology gives
Downside – Concentration, empathy, impulse control
Upside – multi-tasking, process data quickly
The greatest downside: Internet Use Disorder – internet addicts exhibit the same patterns in their brain that cocaine addicts or alcoholics
Adolescents are predisposed to 4 pursuits
We substitute technology for the real outcomes of those pursuits
These are necessary pursuits but should be pursued in the real world, not virtually.
- Go outside
- Find a place to serve others
- Fast from technology
- Intentionally wait for something you want
4 Habitudes that help us lead students
- Personal Laptop – garbage in, garbage out
- Discipline Bridge – we must cross the bridge of discipline to reach the desired destination
- Emotional fuel – cars run on gas, leaders run on emotional fuel – mentors, role models, peers
- Guardrails – either standards or people who help us stay safe
What topic would you like for us to address on the next episode of the Growing Leaders Podcast? Leave a comment below.