What I Learned in the Last 2 Years: Guest post by Greg Steely

Today’s blog is a guest post by Greg Steely. He is a great friend and currently serves as Assistant Pastor at Community Bible Church in Highlands, NC. In the last 2 years, Greg completed a Master’s degree in Organizational Leadership at Regent University and today shares what he learned with us. I know you will benefit from his experience! Follow Greg on Twitter at @gregsteely.

coaching

I am very excited to report that I just finished my graduate work in Organizational Leadership. I have always been fascinated with how organizations operate as well as the people within them. As a child, I was the one who planned the games, picked the teams and created the structure. I would review what could have been done better for the next time we played. I love leadership and organizations, so this area of study suited me.

As a part of my studies, I chose to focus a lot of my work on coaching. I believe that many organizations fail in coaching their employees. I also believe that coaching and mentorship is a must for the next generation to survive. If you don’t mind, I would love to share some leadership principles I learned that may help you become a better leader and hopefully coach for this generation.

1. Be an Anchor.
    Rock climbers use a device called an anchor that helps to secure the rope on the rock. The anchor allows for risks. People rely on an anchor to be dependable, solid and reliable.
  2. Remove the Fuzziness.
    I hate it when I am on the phone talking and we have a bad connection. I can’t hear them clearly and they can’t hear me. We must maintain the strongest connection possible with those we lead. We must communicate clearly and we must hear intently.
  3. The 3 “C’s” of Success.
    Two of the most important things we can model to those we lead are courage and commitment. Courage on our part is our willingness to go as far as we need to in order to help lead. By showing courage we are in turn showing that we are committed to the relationship. If these are modeled correctly, over time they will become contagious.
  4. Failure is Good.
    Sounds odd saying it doesn’t it? I believe the fear of failure keeps people from achieving greatness. Failure can be one of the fastest ways to learn. Failing can lead to the action to correct. We don’t encourage failure but we also don’t ignore it. Help others learn how to get up and get on.

I’d like to hear from you. What other ways can we become good coaches?

Looking for practical resources to equip next generation leaders?
Check out Habitudes: Images That Form Leadership Habits and Attitudes.

1. Julie Gudger on March 15, 2012 at 8:34 am

Congrats Greg! Great post. Much success!

• Tim Elmore on March 23, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Thanks for reading and commenting!

2. Terri Portwood Lewis on March 15, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Greg, so proud of you!  This is really awesome!  Going to use this in my own leadership role at work!  Could apply to parenting, also!

• Tim Elmore on March 23, 2012 at 3:40 pm

So proud of Greg and glad to have him guest post here!

3. Joe Wickman on March 26, 2012 at 10:38 am

I’d love to hear more about your experience with Regent, and the program in particular. Would you say it was worth your time and effort? Did you do the work while raising a family and maintaining a ministry job? Would you say it’s having a direct impact on your ministry effectiveness?

• Greg on March 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Joe it was a great experience. I was working full time with a wife and 2 kids and was able to manage it pretty well. I am beginning my doctoral work in the same program this May. I have applied 90% of what I learned to my job as an Executive Pastor and on the side as a consultant and leadership coach. Hope that helps.

4. putlocker is blocked on September 11, 2019 at 6:12 am

So it is a great advantage to be able to view as lots of movies as you can to obtain the most out
    of the membership. Having the ability to view flicks quickly enables this.

The choices to view flicks instantaneously are
    additionally used when you rent out movies online at amazon.com,
    though their Unbox service as well as through iTunes.

Flicks have to be viewed within a specific time period under the problems of
    these leasings. Neither amazon.com neither iTunes call for
    a subscription or subscription charges, though both services do need special software program to
    view the flicks.

Flicks can likewise be purchased outright in a download format at iTunes.
    Although more costly than leasings, these motion pictures can be seen whenever you such as.