The Power of Camp [infographic]

Today I want to share an infographic from my friends at Christian Camp and Conference Association. It’s the product of an initiative called The Power of Camp. These statistics, while alarming, are probably not a huge surprise to most parents and educators. It’s no secret that our society, including our children, are more connected than ever. I’m not against technology, but I do believe that healthy limits allow us to benefit from new developments and not be hindered by them.

A camp experience can be a critical moment of development for a child as they break their normal routine, take risks, form friendships and have a chance to enjoy being outside. They have time to disconnect from the noise of daily life and connect with counselors and peers. These may seem like simple things, but the fact that most teens lack them as part of their ordinary experience underscores the need all the more.

Check out this infographic:

The Power of Camp exists to raise awareness and esteem for camping.  Christian Camp and Conference Association also wants to raise money to help students go to camp, regardless of their ability to pay. The Power of Camp is an initiative of Christian Camp and Conference Association, an incredible organization that serves over 6 million students each year through its network of over 850 camps. For more information, visit The Power of Camp’s website or their Facebook Page.

What do you think is the most valuable aspect of a camp experience?

1. Jason Cook on February 29, 2012 at 5:36 am

Tim, keep doing great work in inspiring the next generation! I enjoy following your tweets on twitter also. – Jason Cook (@JCookFL:twitter )

• Tim Elmore on February 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Thanks so much, Jason! Appreciate you taking the time to read and respond!

2. Penny Hunter on February 29, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for posting this, Tim. I know so many young leaders cut their teeth at camp. They learn to serve, how to follow and how to lead. I thought I’d mention that CCCA.org has a great job search tool for anyone looking for a summer job.

• Tim Elmore on February 29, 2012 at 3:40 pm

It’s so true! I believe camp can be a great experience for young leaders to develop their skills and experience. Thanks for sharing about the job board – that’s a tremendous resource for those looking for a great summer job!

3. Aimee on March 1, 2012 at 9:26 am

I love going to church camp! I have been going since I was like 5! Now I”m actually counseling and helping others enjoy the experience!  I would say that the most important aspects of camp is the fact that there are no distractions!  There is absolutely no cell phone service or internet at camp! It’s awesome! 🙂

• Tim Elmore on March 7, 2012 at 1:03 pm

The busier our lives become, the more important it is to take time to unplug. Camp does provide a great environment for getting away from it all. Thanks for sharing your experience!

4. Phoejones on March 12, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I look for engaging activities that my neices can be a part of, and thanks to you Tim, I will see that they attend this year.
    Thank
    Philicity

5. Jason Stewart on March 20, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Thanks for sharing, Tim. Camp is a powerful experience with the next generation. I have seen camp for years as being a time to “separate kids from the world so they can separate unto God.” Focus is key with as leaders as we pour into kids lives. For years, I have seen camp be a catalytic moment in the lives of 100s of students. A launching pad where they can hear the voice of God and know the heart of God…then take steps to plug into ongoing process, community, growth as they re-enter.

6. […] right now, but we will be allowed (and we have to believe) to be together again. According to The Power of Camp, adolescents are spending nearly eight hours a day on electronic media, with only about a third of […]