12 Must Read Leadership Books for Young Adults

As I travel and speak to college students, I’m often asked what are the best books for a young leader to read. Years ago, I created a list of “Must Reads” for established leaders, but below, I list what I consider great reads for emerging leaders—teens and twenty-somethings who aspire to leadership. Hope it’s helpful.

photo credit: pamhule via photopin cc

photo credit: pamhule via photopin cc

1. Leadership and Self-Deception, by the Arbinger Institute

This is often the first book I recommend to a student who’s begun their leadership journey. It’s a parable about a self-absorbed man who learns to get beyond himself.

2. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen Covey

This classic by the late Stephen Covey covers seven key habits that successful people in any industry have chosen to embrace: priorities, decision making, goals, etc.

3. How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie

Another classic written decades ago, the book covers timeless truths for engaging people and earning the right to be heard. Simple lessons in emotional intelligence.

4. Drive, by Daniel Pink

This book explains how human motivation has changed over time, from carrots and sticks (rewards, punishment) to the longing for autonomy, mastery and purpose.

5. Managing Up, by Rossane Badowski

This is a book every young leader should read. It talks about how to influence and lead when you’re not the “boss.” It’s about healthy relationships, trust and value.

6. Primal Leadership, by Daniel Goleman, Richard Boyatzis, and Annie McKee

This classic book convinces readers that emotional intelligence is king in leadership. Leaders must cultivate their EQ (emotional quotient), not just evaluate their IQ.

7. The 360-Degree Leader, by John C. Maxwell

This book explains the concept of how we influence all around us, and how people can influence without a title or position. Influence must be earned.

8. Made to Stick, by Chip and Dan Heath

This is a timely book on how to communicate effectively. It is researched based and full of case studies on what makes communication memorable and life-changing.

9. The Making of a Leader, by Dr. J. Robert Clinton

This is a faith-based book about the stages leaders are to experience in order to build healthy, character-based leadership, and finish well. It offers the big picture.

10. Talent is Never Enough, by John Maxwell

This book tells how to build characteristics and habits in your life that don’t require talent but ultimately enable you to capitalize on your gifts. Very inspirational.

11. The One Thing You Need to Know, by Marcus Buckingham

This book, written by the king of “strengths-based” leadership, focuses on the single most important element for successful life and leadership. It simplifies the journey.

12. Habitudes—Images That Form Leadership Habits and Attitudes

At the risk of sounding self-serving, I also recommend “Habitudes®” to young leaders who desire to understand timeless principles of leadership via stories and images.

I hope this is helpful. What other books do you recommend to students?

1. Sarah on October 10, 2019 at 12:49 pm

Almost all of these books are written by white men. Some inclusivity would be nice.

• Brett Levy on October 12, 2020 at 10:38 pm

Complain with no suggestions? Do better.

• Fatema on July 16, 2021 at 7:37 am

It is literally the job of the person who wrote this article to research and suggest books. Being condecending to someone who made a valid observation and suggestion in a nice way (not at all complaining)? Do better.

• Neesy on January 23, 2022 at 9:31 pm

So sad. That’s the problem with this world. This world is so blind, in the wrong way. Instead of making things about hate and color and blame and playing a victim, why don’t we all focus on love and judging someone by what’s on the inside, their views, their morals, their integrity…

• required on September 12, 2021 at 3:06 am

I love white man

2. Nia on August 21, 2020 at 9:48 am

I love reading some books of Eston Rickota.

3. Larryking221 on August 21, 2020 at 9:51 am

Yep! I agree because such books help us to become bigger than we are. I got it when I was told to read some literature that I didn’t want to read so I used one company to ask for help and I kept on reading what I liked to !

4. Kirsten Casper on September 30, 2020 at 8:37 pm

Glad to read this post. Thanks https://growingleaders.com/

5. Lucy Stevens on February 9, 2021 at 6:16 am

Organizations are running on trust and trust can not acquire without putting forth an additional attempt, much the same as we need to improve our client care administrations and PR with the client to build the trust. You have to look for “Wikipedia experts for hire” for your organization or get assistance from us

6. ALI HAMMAD on September 5, 2021 at 6:53 am

Typically undergrads remain at the libraries and finish their assignments
    having no time for their own particular undertakings.

7. KeywordsFly Technology on September 16, 2021 at 2:34 pm

We Wikipedia experts, writers and editors assist people to create, manage and promote their Wikipedia pages. Our Wikipedia page creation agency works to create and hold a unique and favorable position in the Wiki market. We at KeywordsFly to help you get quality Wikipedia content.

8. Rene L. Woo on September 27, 2021 at 5:05 am

Being a student of literature I get the opportunity to read the work of people who are unknown to me but still teach me a lot of things. I found this book but I could find the writer at https://www.bestassignmentservices.co.uk/ and so I decided to check on the internet if someone else has found something related to this book. thanks to your post I found the answer to my questions.

9. FortuneJackets on October 28, 2021 at 7:03 am

Fortune Jackets care for your fashion requirements. We uphold the premium quality jackets. Visit site Thanks.

Horizon Bicolour Bomber Jacket

10. manuel on January 3, 2022 at 1:48 am

I am amazed by the way you have explained things in this article. Yellowstone Jacket Collection

11. akalaem on January 3, 2022 at 1:49 am

Fashion is actual a trending toping in the world. Your fashion blogging sense is too good. Stylish and designing you choose, it’s better. Celebrity Movie Jacket

12. Elizabeth Greene on January 18, 2022 at 5:39 am

Glad to see I’ve read all the books. I’m also reading above comments there are a lots of discussions regarding book writers that all the books written by white man, so what? There’s no point of discussion or argue. Even If you find essay help guide so mostly you found the same thing here also. Well I’m happy to see these books name here.

13. cookie clicker on January 24, 2022 at 1:17 am

I agree because novels like this help us grow into people who are greater than we are. I acquired it when I was instructed to read some literature that I didn’t want to read cookie clicker, so I enlisted the services of one company and continued to read what I like!

14. Alvin Traacy on January 31, 2022 at 6:32 pm

Rescue systems inc is an ally of the high-tech rescue services personnel. Rescue systems strive to work with rescue personnel to put the right protection and safety gear in the right hands to achieve success.

15. ryan on February 19, 2022 at 6:00 am

we know what we need to know how many calories are burned while we are lifting weights. How many calories do you burn while you’re lifting weights
    flat tummy drink to reduce belly fat in 4 days

16. kristin burger on March 26, 2022 at 1:55 am

Howdy an greatly immense much recognized from my side for you. The compelling and obligatory web journal you’ve got composed for us. More regularly than not basic for the journalists and understudies as well. i will be related with you people bunches to start an bewildering web journal like this.
    Charging Port Replacement

17. rosa anderson on March 26, 2022 at 4:12 am

The time of collective and unused data has happening nowadays. I am giving a free benefit to studied my words on this stage which i will share before long yellowstone merchandise . I would like to say my judgment for your endeavors will be astounding and need to appreciate the dedicated . Thank you

18. peter shawn on April 1, 2022 at 12:43 am

This Blog is very informative for us. Thanks for writing about it. In this article, some examples help me in applying in daily life. amazing You have explained each and everything very well in detail. I hope you will write more pieces which help us in our daily routines. Yeezy Gap Black Jacket

19. peter shawn on April 1, 2022 at 3:26 am

I’m very happy to look at your publish. Thanks a lot I appreciated your blog, Thank you for the information, Desirable activity is excellent for good fortune. Star Lord Jacket

20. peter shawn on April 1, 2022 at 6:40 am

Great article! All the articles you have, they enjoy reading and learning a lot. Your article is very helpful for me. I hope you will continue to write such good articles as well. Really enjoyed reading your blog.It is highly informative and builds great interest for the readers. For the people like us your blogs helps to get ideal information and knowledge. Thanks for providing such blogs. Only Murders In The Building Outfits

21. Tom Martin on April 8, 2022 at 8:36 am

It needs some software to improve the performance of the HP printer, like driver software, Bluetooth driver, wifi driver, smart app, scanner software, scan doctor.

22. Tom Martin on April 8, 2022 at 8:36 am

Excellent information providing by your Snoop Dogg Tracksuit SuperBowl Article thank you for taking the time to share with us such a nice article.

23. Bridgerton Colin on April 18, 2022 at 1:18 am

The inspiration for this coat came from the American popular streaming online television drama series Bridgerton, Bridgerton Colin Bridgerton Blue Tailoat in which the extremely gifted Actor Luke Newton wore this coat while portraying the character of Colin Bridgerton. The outside of this Colin Bridgerton coat is made of high-quality velvet material.

24. VPN highly suggested on May 4, 2022 at 8:31 am

It is nice to be on this website. I am a thirty year old person and I like to search online information . Today it is common to be a victim of cyber crime . So , there is VPN highly suggested. It is high quality VPN and I am using it since a long time . I am very satisfy with its performance.

25. ellowstone John Dutton on May 7, 2022 at 1:09 am

Yellowstone is a Paramount Network drama series conceived by John Linson and Taylor Sheridan and written by Taylor Sheridan.Yellowstone John Dutton Green Quilted Jacket Kevin Costner, Cole Hauser, and Kelly Reilly are among the cast members. Kevin Costner plays John Dutton, the owner of the Dutton Ranch, in the series. Because of his dashing and aggressive approach, we like his persona. In the fourth season, he wears a stunning and vibrant cotton jacket.

26. BK8 on May 9, 2022 at 12:49 pm

Your article is very good and useful, thank you for sharing, bk8 hopes that next time you will have more good articles to send to all readers.

27. john on May 11, 2022 at 10:01 am

Thanks for sharing this first-class stuff with us! Keep sharing! I am incipient withinside the blog inscribing. All types blogs and posts are not auxiliary for the readers. Here the author is giving pinnacle cerebrations and recommendations to each and every reader through this article. Quality of the content material cloth is the precept element of the blog and this is the way of inscribing and presenting.

28. johnrath on May 11, 2022 at 10:03 am

Ascertain the lethargic music you decide to play afore resigning to bed should have a delicate, constant and mundane musicality. https://vjackets.com/watch-dogs-aiden-pearce-trench-coat I actually have honestly observe examine and had been given many information as this not unusual and steady beat motives you to revel in free and assist you feelings of solicitousness, in this manner making it less complicated a good way to nod off

29. Dill on May 15, 2022 at 3:08 pm

mod apk will be more interesting with the MOD APK version. You will have Unlimited Money to buy and upgrade anything you want.

30. jessicaalex on May 16, 2022 at 5:50 am

It is good to hear that your store is now expanding to new locations. I have been a patron of Fantastic Eyes because of all the wonderful work that you guys do.write my paper for me I hope that this expansion move of yours will turn out to be successful. I will definitely go and see this new store of yours