How to Teach Your Students To Be Responsible Decision Makers

By: Tim Elmore

I remember it like it was yesterday. I met with three high school students following a major brawl after a Friday night football game. A group of students from each high school began trash-talking each other, and the clash got heated. Within moments, words were exchanged for fists. The fight required security guards, teachers, and parents to break it up. Too often, teens fall into this trap.

What saddened me the most was the three young men I met with to discuss the fight had come ready for this Friday night encounter with metal pipes and brass knuckles. In other words, they had planned and prepared for it. It wasn’t merely impulsive behavior, it was a well-thought-through plan.

As in many cases like this, two of the three students felt regret.

Two of them apologized for their words and actions and even offered to make it right by doing community service and offering an apology to the other school. When they tried to explain what had happened inside of them, they said things like:

“I guess I wasn’t thinking about what would happen after it was over. I was just pi**ed off at how they disrespected us.”

“I am really sorry. I don’t know what made me take things to an extreme.”

“I never thought how this might go on my record when I apply to college.”

Better Decisions, Fewer Regrets

This kind of impulsive behavior can be common in adolescents. The amygdalas inside their brains are more developed than their prefrontal cortexes, which hinders them from thinking about the long-term implications of their actions. I believe one of the best-kept secrets to helping students make good decisions is teaching them to ask questions before acting. These questions are personal and can be life-changing.

My friend and author, Andy Stanley, just released a new book called Better Decisions, Fewer Regrets. It’s a down-to-earth guide to good decision making. Students can even practice answering the book’s questions in order to make good, long-term decisions. The premise of the book is this: Your decisions determine the direction and quality of your life. And good questions are connected to good choices.

Five Questions to Ask Yourself When Making a Decision

Question 1: Am I being honest with myself…really?

This is the integrity question. It is about self-awareness and self-leadership. The easiest person to deceive is the one in the mirror. The moment I sense that I’m trying to sell myself on something, I must stop. We rarely have to sell ourselves on the right thing to do. This question about being brutally honest with ourselves can keep us from lying.

Question 2: What story do I want to tell?

This is the legacy question. Every decision we make becomes a part of our story–the college we attend, the job we take, the person we marry, or the fight we had on Friday night. When people ask about our backgrounds, we tell stories about the decisions we’ve made. We all have a great story we’d like to tell. But then, there’s our true story. The bad chapter of our life doesn’t have to be the last one. We get to choose how it ends.

Question 3: Is there a tension that deserves my attention?

This is the conscience question. We can get into situations (on campus, at work, or at a party) and find ourselves feeling hesitant. We feel a check in our spirit. We need to pay attention. Even if it doesn’t seem to bother anyone else, our conscience can begin poking us, telling us something is wrong about a choice in front of us: the lie we just told, the gossip, the expense report, etc. We must pay attention to the tension.

Question 4: What does love require of me?

The relationship question. We cannot be fully happy unless we are relationally healthy. This one has a different reward than the other four questions. Parents can argue their children right out of the house. Kids feel judged or trapped where rules are more important than relationships. Teens can do the same. Both are selfish. We must stop trying to manipulate or coerce. We must simply ask: “What would love do in this situation?”

Question 5: What is the wise thing to do?

This is the maturity question. A series of unwise decisions brings us to the point of regret. Not necessarily illegal or unethical choices. Just unwise. I love the short phrase: “There’s good and there’s bad but that’s not our cue; we must ask ourselves: what’s the wise thing to do?” Many teens snuggle as close as possible to disaster and hope to stay out of trouble. The mature live within the boundaries of wise choices.

What is the wise thing to do in light of my:

• Past experiences?
  • Present circumstances?
  • Future hopes?

To live this way, there will be sacrifices. We must value the ultimate over the immediate. Opportunities, friendships, health, money, and family. These are the questions I believe we must be teaching our students to ask.

Responsible decision making is one of the competencies students discuss when they experience social and emotional learning. We teach each of the CASEL approved competencies in our digital Habitudes for Social and Emotional Learning courses. CHECK THEM OUT HERE

1. Zena N. Cole on February 9, 2021 at 8:14 am

Thanks for this message. One of my pastors is currently teaching on this series by Andy Stanley.

2. Alice on February 9, 2021 at 12:17 pm

Of course, we want the best for our children. You understand that the right choice depends not only on the child’s education, a certain amount of knowledge that he will receive for all the years, but also what kind of person he will become. It may seem that the selection process is complicated, but if you learn more about bischool https://www.bischool.com/ , everything becomes obvious

3. Sylvia99 on February 18, 2021 at 7:29 am

There is nothing more exciting and embarrassing for a student than college freshmen traditions. Check out some of the most common ones to be ready for everything.

4. James C. Linck on February 19, 2021 at 4:33 pm

Your article has piqued a lot of positive interest. I can see why since you have done such a good job of making it interesting.

5. Teresa Elliott on February 19, 2021 at 4:37 pm

[Anchors](https://devdojo.com)
    [a href=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa]Anchors[/a]
    [u]https://en.wikipedia.org/[/u]

6. […] ***BONUS*** How To Teach Your Students To Be Responsible Decision Makers by Tim Elmore via GrowingLeaders.com […]

7. Christian Corbould on August 1, 2021 at 2:26 am

Growing leaders has a blog about students to get the responsibility of decision-makers. The students from each high school should visit the https://www.brillassignment.co.uk/ site to get prepared for their coming exams and tests. Children were ready for the fight and night encounter with metal pipes and brass knuckles. Join it.

8. jamaima cyrus on August 6, 2021 at 3:14 am

Really growingleaders is a great place to flat illustrations online education and homework. Thank you for more information on online education and homework. If any student needs a dissertation, he can buy it from here hhttps://dissertationwritinghelp.uk/dissertation-writing-service-london/. Join it for more updates.

9. academic writers UK on August 6, 2021 at 3:16 am

Really growingleaders is a great place to flat illustrations online education and homework. Thank you for more information on online education and homework. If any student needs a dissertation, he can buy it from here hhttps://dissertationwritinghelp.uk/dissertation-writing-service-london. Join it for more updates.

10. Abner Mares on August 7, 2021 at 7:33 am

Devoloping Leaders offers a blog about students taking on decision-making responsibilities. Students from all high schools should go to the EssayHelpZone website to study for upcoming examinations and tests. This website is very useful for the students. Their professional essay writers UK are very qualified.

11. David John on January 15, 2022 at 1:39 am

Really loved your blog! You have mentioned some great points in this blog. If you are studying in Human resource, then our human resource management assignment writing service could be very helpful for you.

12. jaxkm on January 15, 2022 at 7:34 am

At the end of your college career, your student loans may be too much to handle. Fortunately, there are multiple programs and organizations that provide scholarships to eligible students. However, not all scholarships require full-time enrollment; some can be taken at a part-time basis and still provide significant funds for tuition and books. Some popular scholarship types include:
    A Full scholarship: This type is offered in relief for the financial pressure on students struggling with overwhelming debt load.

13. Eric Walker on January 25, 2022 at 2:53 pm

Due to a lack of experience and understanding, students often make hasty, selfish, and short-sighted decisions. Lack of foresight leads them to ignore the consequences of their decisions and long-term results. Bad decisions and the consequences of making them help to buy marketing plan and learn how to make better decisions in the future.

14. Jennifer Garner on January 26, 2022 at 6:39 am

Need to Take Your Class Online Now? Take Your Class Online offers best online class help! Just say take my online class for me. We offer do my online class help!

15. Jim on January 27, 2022 at 1:19 am

Staff augmentation is another product rethinking model that a reevaluating organization can consider to conquer the intrinsic difficulties in conveyance groups’ above-examined programming re-appropriating model. IT Staff Augmentation

16. Online Classes on January 27, 2022 at 8:30 am

Searching for take my online class or Do My Online Classes? Get the best online class help from Online Classes Hub. We take your classes and courses.

17. onlineclasshelpnow on February 1, 2022 at 6:44 am

Need take my online class services? Reach out to Online Class Help Now. We have the best online class takers to help your Do My Class Online ​for me needs.

18. roman davis on February 21, 2022 at 12:50 am

To make students responsible citizens, the teacher should give a lesson to make future generations loyal state soldiers. I appreciate your efforts to write this post for the teachers and students who are continuing their studies. cheap dissertation writing service

19. ejaaz ejaaz on April 6, 2022 at 6:17 am

your article look unique and i am happy after reading

20. Siaax on April 6, 2022 at 6:28 am

I was searching for details for this topic and found it on your website and this gives me much more clarity and information on this topic

21. Siaax on April 6, 2022 at 6:28 am

I can see you article you can explain very well. This article is very informative for me

22. tarrering on April 6, 2022 at 6:28 am

Very interesting Story.

23. 3D animated logo on June 22, 2022 at 4:01 pm

The 3D animated logo adds the extra bling or dimension to get noticed. In 2022, 3D logos are an absolute replacement for basic logos acquired by the majority of businesses. It is a very good idea to get a 2D or 3D logo design for your company. It helps your target audience to remember you and is very prominent on your website as well.

24. Essayassistant.org on June 23, 2022 at 3:46 am

The introduction should reflect the main idea of the essay, but it should not be disclosed in it, because in this case there is no need to write the main part. It is not necessary to write Essayassistant.org in literary language using all kinds of turns, metaphors, hyperboles and all the other beauties of literature, but the essay should not contain parasitic words, it should not be written in childish language, should be easy to read.

• home on September 24, 2022 at 4:03 pm

I got too much interesting stuff on your blog. I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work. old home decor

25. bussin snacks on July 4, 2022 at 4:36 pm

Welcome to bussin snacks where you can find all flavors of snacks , beverage and cold drinks. you can buy it after reading reviews about this site on newsdustbin.

26. 2023 Acura NSX on August 22, 2022 at 1:59 am

The NSX was designed to be a more affordable alternative to other luxury sports cars on the market. The NSX is powered by a 3.0L V6 engine and features a body made entirely of aluminum.

27. Thomas Murphy on September 3, 2022 at 7:54 am

Proctored Exam Online boost grades and provides reliable online exam help for students looking up professionals to Take My Teas Exam For Me or do my online exam.

28. MaksRomanov on September 15, 2022 at 7:59 am

Personally, I’m not afraid to make a decision. I made my decision when I decided to find a case study writer for hire. Thanks to him, I have a lot of free time for myself. I recommend everyone to use the services of the authors of the essay.