I often write about how the lack of fathers is affecting the next generation. Research continues to show us that our entire society suffers when fathers are missing. Whether a father is physically absent or is in the home but emotionally unengaged, the outcomes are unfortunately very similar.
I was very excited when I heard that my friend Mark Merrill was writing a book designed to address this problem. Mark is the founder and president of Family First, a nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening the family. Mark recently released his new book, All Pro Dad: Seven Essentials to Be a Hero to Your Kids.
In All Pro Dad, Mark states that the two most important fundamentals of fatherhood are love and leadership. In order for a man to execute these fundamentals, he needs to know the following seven essentials.
The 7 “M’s” of an All Pro Dad
- Know Your Makeup: Understand your true identity
- Know Your Mind-set: Not just a provider and protector. Job is to love and lead your children.
- Know Your Motive: If you don’t have good motives, will make bad decisions for your children.
- Know Your Method: Build memorable “monuments.”
- Know You’re A Model: Integrity is what you do when no one else is looking.
- Know Your Message: What is your message? We need to teach our kids to love and serve others.
- Know Your Master: Who or what are you living for? The gravitational pull of your source of happiness will influence your children.
All Pro Dad is filled with practical ideas and encouragement for fathers to embrace their unique role and execute the fundamentals of fatherhood with excellence. If you are a father or know one who could use this book, I cannot encourage you enough to check out All Pro Dad.